Planter boxes are timeless, and beautiful additions to the home and garden additions. A well- maintained window box planter can add a touch of elegance to any home. At Carlsbad & Co., you can choose from several styleslots of different kinds of container designs and materials, like vinyl, wood, fiberglass, and various types of metal, but the material with the most versatility is that of the composite PVC window boxes.
Life’s Easier with PVC
PVC planter boxes have the appearance of wood and can be custom painted by Carlsbad & Co. A fine example is, like ourthis ArmorCoat Bronze Laguna Window BoxArmorCoat Bronze Laguna with Cleat Mounting System, which is actually has a real bronze coating (view installation guideview installation guide hereinstall guide included). PVC composite material looks as elegant as true wood, but there’s little if any maintenance required and it’s significantly more durable and long lasting. without the hassle of maintenance. Plus, PVC window boxes don’t feel like plastic, and when painted, they look and feel like actual wood. Unlike vinyl, wood, and most metal boxes, a cellular PVC window box will not rot, bend, sag, crack, or rust. And that means you can enjoy your window box for years to come.
How to Install Your PVC Window BoxPerform Your Window Box Installation
An improperly hung window box can not only cause damage to your home, but can also cause serious injuryinjuries to yourself and others. The following instructions are included only as an installation guide, and because PVC boxes can be installed on almost any siding, specific instructions will vary. Be sure to contact a licensed contractor for your project before you hang your PVC window box.
For the simplest, most traditionalmost traditional and simple way to hang a new window box, use a direct mount window box planter. Before making your purchase, you want to make sure that you’ve got the right sized window boxes. As a general rule of thumb, it is recommended that you measure the window you intend to use so your planter box doesn’t extend more than four inches past your window.
Mounting for Wood/Vinyl/Stucco
- Use a stud finder to locate the studs in your wall underneath the chosen window, and then . Mmark the spot of each stud. Not having a planter box properly secured to a stud in the wall is the quickest way to bring it and maybe even part of your wall to the ground.
- Center the planter box underneath your window. Next, Ttransfer the markings from the studs to your container and drill holes into the box. It is important to properly align your markings before you transfer them and start drilling so that your project will be level.
- Re-center the box underneath your window and mark the wall through the holes you just drilled in the box. This is where you will drill the pilot holes into your siding. If you don’t Pproperly aligningly align your markings ensures you won’t end up with, you’ll be sure to have a lopsided planter box.
- Drill the bolt holes through the marking you made on your siding, then bolt your container to the wall. PVC window boxes are often heavy, so we adviseit may suit you to useing other tools, like heavy duty clips in addition to your bolts to keep your planter box secure.
- Installing planters on brick or masonry? No problem. Our installation guides cover both!
Do I Nneed Brackets?
Before bolting PVC composite windowflower boxes to the wall, you may want to add a pair of decorative brackets to your direct mount for additional decorative flair and support for your container. A window box can be heavy on its own, but it’s important to know that itsits weight can increase significantlygrows even more when you add soil and plants. While not necessarily required, decorative brackets can be useful to provide support in windy or otherwise dangerous areas. Carlsbad & Co. offers a fine selection of both decorative and functional support brackets for all your window box installation needs. Click here to peruse both decorative and functional support brackets. Installing planters on brick or masonry? Our installation guides cover both!
Now that you know how to hang window boxes, your house is poised to be the talk of the neighborhood. Explore our selection of charming PVC window boxes and brackets on Carlsbad & Co. to bring some beauty and variety tointo your home and garden today.